The Institute of Nanoscience consists of two centers: NEST-Pisa and S3-Modena.'
The main objective of the Institute is the fundamental study and the manipulation of systems at the nanoscale.
The research activities of the institute include (see the site www.nano.cnr.it):
- Solid-state quantum technology.
- Fundamental and translational nanobiophysics.
- Nanoscale theory modelling and computation.
- Physics and technology of light at the nanoscale.
- Surfaces and interfaces: nanofabrication, imaging, and spectroscopy.
The Institute contributes also to communication and education in the nanosciences.
Characteristic feature of the Institute is the strong collaboration with Universities, in particular with Scuola Normale Superiore and University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, where the Institute centers are hosted.