The Institute for Studies on the Mediterranean (ISMed), was born from the transformation of the Institute for Studies on Mediterranean Societies (ISSM) sanctioned by th resolution of the Predisident of the CNR n. 63 of 30 May 2019.
The Institute for Studies on Mediterranean Societies ISSM of the National Research Council, was established in 2001 following the merger of the three Institutes IREM - Institute for Research on the Mediterranean Economy, ISEM - Institute of Economic History of the South and ISSFSE - Institute for Studies on Financial Structures and Economic Development.
The ISMed carries out, in continuity with the institute from which it derives, research activities, enhancement and transfer of technology and training on the following issues:
- Dynamics of local and global socio-economic development in the Mediterranean area.
- Long-term transformations in the management and use of natural resources in the countries of the Mediterranean basin.
- Productive activities, technological transfers and organizational cultures of the Mediterranean countries in a long-term historical perspective.
- Trade, finance and credit in Mediterranean countries in Modern and Contemporary Age.
- Demographic evolution and migration within the Mediterranean basin.
- Transformations in the use and management of human resources, training models, structure and long-term dynamics of the Mediterranean labour market.
- Role and functioning of public and private institutions in Mediterranean economies in Modern and Contemporary Age.
- Urban and territorial development policies in the Mediterranean area.
- Economic cooperation between the countries of the Mediterranean basin.