The Institute of Experimental Endocrinology and Oncology "G. Salvatore" represents a research foundation that, since its origin in 1969, has been characterized by the strong synergism between the National Council of Research and the University of Naples. The convergence of the two institutions has been an advantage for formation of young researchers of theaching staff. On the other end, the affiliation to the Institute of a number of reseachers from the University Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology and Pathology has allowed to realize the ideal conditions to increase the cultural level of the Institute. The continous exchange of informations between researchers of both institutions has given rise to excellent scientific results and high number of publications reported on national and international scientific journals.
The research activities have been always submitted to the valuation of the Scientific Council, an international committee constituted of eminent scientists coming from prestigious national and international institutions. The Scientific Council has always expressed a very positive judgment about the research activities and the scientific production of the Institute, demonstrating the high quality of the research performed.
The research activities have been divided in three areas: Endocrinology, Oncology and Molecular Pathology. These areas include both basic and clinical research fields.
The Oncology area includes:
1. Mechanisms of inter- and intra-cellular signalling.
2. Analysis of genes involved in human tumors.
3. Role of immunity in controlling tumor development.
4. Development of cellular, tissue and animal models for tumor analysis.
5. Development of new molecular agents able to antagonize tumor rising.
6. Molecular mechanisms of cell adhesion and metastasis.
7. Development of diagnostic kits for diagnosis of tumor or tumor-
The Endocrinology area includes: 1. Mechanisms of inter- and intra-cellular signalling responsible for pathological alterations, their role and interactions.
2. Cell differentiation, mechanisms of regulation or deregulation, migration, damage, repair, apoptosis and cell death and their implications in development of diabetes, obesity and thyropathies.
3. Role of immunity, inflamatory and angiogenic processes and metabolic flaws; development of cellular, tissue and animal models for analysis of diabetes, obesity and thyropathies.
4. Genetic and environmental risk factors and their role in the establishment of pathological effects.
The Molecular Pathology area includes:
1. Cell differentiation.
2. Mechanisms of gene expression regulation.
3. Molecular basis of tissue-specificity.
4. Protein-protein interactions.
5. Post-transcriptional modifications of transactivators.
6. Molecular basis of human diseases.
7. Congenital hypothyroidism.
8. Screening of mutations.
9. Cell-extracellular matrix interactions.
10. Signal transduction.
11. Protein sorting.
12. Regulation of secretion.
13. Apoptosis, neuro-degenerative diseases, ataxias.
One of the most important activities achieved by the Institute of Experimental Endocrinology and Oncology is represented by the formation of a number of reseachers several of which occupy relevant positions in the field of national and international biomedical and biotechnological research. The formative activities may be summarized as follows:
1. Teaching support activity in the degree programmes of "Federico II" Naples University by the researchers of the Institute.
2. Supervisor and teaching activities of Ph.D. students belonging to Ph.D. programmes of Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology and Pathology of "Federico II" Naples University.
3. Education of young researchers and technologists supported by early training fellowships.