GEMMA - CUP:G86C18000390006 (DSB.AD004.214)
Area progettualeNeuroscienze (DSB.AD004)
Struttura responsabile del progetto di ricerca
Responsabile di progetto
GEMMA will be the first project to combine a multi-omic approach with robust environmental data to exploit the analysis of the composition and function of the microbiome for personalized treatment and, ultimately, disease interception in infants at risk of Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) . The project will provide solid mechanistic evidence of the disease onset and progression in relation to dynamic changes in abnormal gut microbiota causing epigenetic modifications controlling gut barrier and immune functions, based on the in-depth evaluation of 600 infants at risk observed from birth and followed over time. These data will be integrated with pre-clinical studies to mechanistically link human microbiota composition/function with clinical outcome through humanized murine models transplanted with stools obtained from the ASD proband patient of recruited families. The project will support novel personalized prediction (personalized treatment) and disease interception (prevention) approaches that attempt to modulate gut microbiota to re-establish/maintain immune homeostasis. The biomarkers identified in this project will contribute to a better understanding of the pathogenesis ASD.
- Identify whether specific biomarkers linked to multi-omics patterns trigger ASD in a subset of genetically pre-disposed individuals in order to elucidate mechanisms behind gut dysbiosis, neuroinflammation and ASD.
- Identify whether specific patterns of gut dysbiosis increases the risk of ASD to elucidate mechanisms of
disease and its GI comorbidities.
- Disseminate the project results and prepare for exploitation
- Create a bridge between European and US ASD research based on US consortium partners and board members
- Disseminate project results to scientific, industrial and public authority stakeholders involved in ASD diagnosis and prevention.
- Develop and actively manage a global network combining industrial, SMEs, research/academic and public authorities focusing on multi-omics biomarkers of immune system diseases.
- Set up and manage a biobank collecting biospecimens from a cohort of 600 infants as risk of ASD observed from birth.
Data inizio attività
Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Bioinformatics, Genomics
Ultimo aggiornamento: 30/11/2023