The thematic study areas in IRET are:
ECOSYSTEM AND RESOURCES
· Terrestrial Ecosystems Structure and functioning
· Sustainable management of ecosystems, Circular economy and ecosystem services
· Global change impact on ecosystems
· Ecosystem role in the global change mitigation
RISKS AND TECHNOLOGIES FOR ENVIRONMENT
· Pollution impact on ecosystems and on human health
· Development and application of technologies for water and soil restoration.
Moreover, IRET is directly involved in exploitation of research results and knowledge transfer for productive, social and economic purposes. Scientists and researchers collaborate with industries and enterprises to carry out research projects, experimentation and application. When required and possible, IRET can also provide consultancy and specialized services to public and private bodies.
IRET can stipulate agreements and conventions, join consortia, foundations or companies with public and private enterprises, both in Italy and abroad.
IRET promotes training and tutoring for young researchers through scholarships and grants, also in agreement with Universities and with the business world. IRET supplies tutoring for Experimental and PhD Thesis for students in Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Environmental Science, Agricultural Science and Technology, Forestry and Environmental Sciences.