The expertise and skills of ISA scientists are represented as it follows:
- Design and development of biosensors for food quality and safety. Static and dynamic fluorescence methodologies; far and near-UV circular dichroism; fluorescence microscopy; "Single Molecule" methodologies; Fluorescence correlation methodologies; SPR methodologies; protein manipulation, sito directed and molecular evolution mutagenesis.
- Mass spectrometry, proteomics, metabolomics, analytical chemistry, food microbiology, molecular and cell biology, solution and solid phase organic synthesis, bioinformatics, protein modelling, sequence analysis, development of bio-informatic tools, data base, omics data analysis.
- Genotoxicity and antimicrobial activity analysis of biomolecules from food matrices. Identification of quality, nutritional, sense, healthy molecolar markers in food products; monitoring of quality and healthy properties in the food chain; technologies for production and packaging for the preservation of quality and safety of agro food.
- Human nutrition; eating habits, energy expenditure, insulin sensitivity, lipase activity in plasma and adipose tissue. Epidemiology and prevention: epidemiological investigation nutrition and genetics of childhood and adult populations. Prevention on risk factors for complex diseases related to nutrition.
- Molecular sciences: protein biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, immunology, microbiology, nutrigenomics.
- Cell morphology: confocal microscopy, immunohistochemistry, cell biology.
- Sensory characterization of food and study of the factors influencing consumption.