|Abstract||New wireless communication technologies enable
new services for infomobility. In this work we explore the
feasibility of infomobility applications through multimedia
broadcast multicast service (MBMS), a new feature added to
the universal mobile telecommunication system (UMTS). We
assume to transmit, through MBMS channels, real time traffic
information to all vehicles under coverage; such information
will be exploited by on board smart navigation systems to
update the best route to the destination. Activating this service,
part of the base station (BS) power is wasted by MBMS, thus
reducing resources available for typical UMTS traffic.
In this paper, performance is investigated through simulations,
adopting a complete simulation platform that we carefully
developed taking into account, by means of an integrated
approach, all network protocol layers and realistic road traffic
with mobility models. Numerical results are provided by considering
as reference scenario the medium-size Italian city of
|Note/Altre informazioni||A complete view of the research activity evaluation has to take not only single papers into account, especially when both theoretical and experimental activities are carried out in the framework of industrial cooperations.
Let me recall the following initiatives:
- Wireless Communication Laboratory, WiLab, founded by Prof. Oreste Andrisano as a result of tight cooperation between the National Council of Research (CNR), University of Bologna and CNIT (Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni) through a synergic action among professors and researchers of the following bodies: Universities of Bologna and Ferrara, IEIIT-CNR, CNIT and Fondazione Alma Mater (Alma Mater s.r.l.).
- Co-foundation of the Multimedia Communication Laboratory (CNIT in Naples). Prof. Andrisano has been the Lab's Director for three years, since its foundation (Labnet project).
The following Professors/researchers have been involved in the activity coordinated by Prof. Andrisano
Professors : M.Chiani, R.Verdone, Velio Tralli, Gianluca Mazzini, Davide Dardari
Researchers: Andrea Conti, Gianni Pasolini, Andrea Giorgetti, Cristina De Castro, Alberto Zanella, Barbara Masini, Alessandro Bazzi
Main Collaborators: Paolo Toppan, Andrea Toppan, Fabio Mantovani, Giovanni Chiurco, Flavio Zabini, Matteo Mazzotti, Rudi Bandiera, Raffaele Soloperto, Andrea Ravaioli, Alberto Roversi, Chiara Balzanelli, Laura Toni, Cristina La Palombara, Giacomo Leonardi, Thomas Pavani
MAIN TESTBEDS PRODUCED IN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE THEORETICAL/EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH ACTIVITY (further details are available on the website www.wilab.org)
1. DVS: Digital Video System- repeater with echo canceller (Project DVBT-2006, MetaSystem). It has been tested on the Wilab measurement bench on digtal transmission systems at the University of Bologna, with remote access (telemeasurement): also oriented to the investigation of digital television/cellular systems mutual interference (800 MHz bandwidth)
2. SHINE: Mobile network simulator. It is a software platform for performance analysis and design of heterogeneous wireless networks and vehicular networks.
3. INFOMOBILITY Integrated simulator of vehicular traffic and wireless networks (Pegasus project)
4. LABORATORIES Network for Telemeasurement and E-Learning (Teledoc 2 Project). This project has been awarded by the SEEL (Supporting Excellence in E-Learning -EU) as the best 2004 project in the field of E-Learning).
5. IMMERSIVE COMMUNICATION GUIDE SYSTEM: localization and virtual guide through indoor sensor network (ViCom project). This project brought to an intense, still ongoing, collaboration of A. Conti and D. Dardari with M.I.T.
6. SMART CITY Reconfigurable network of intelligent poles (Pegasus project) at Fondazione Alma Mater.
7. SENSOR NETWORK control system- at Fondazione Alma Mater.
RESEARCH PROJECTS - The test bed set up can be led back to the following research projects, coordinated by Prof. Andrisano:
Project Duration Funding Body Actuating body Amount - EURO
MULTIMEDIA NATIONAL LEVEL 1998-2003 MIUR
VICOM 2002-2006 MIUR IEIIT-CNR 919.000,00
WWLAN 2004-2005 Alenia Spazio IEIIT-CNR 337.000,00
TUSTY 1999-2003 Siemens Mobile Com. IEIIT-CNR 500.000,00
SACRA 2000-2004 Siemens Mobile Com. IEIIT-CNR +FAM-Alma Mater srl 400.000,00
TELEDOC2 NATIONAL LEVEL 2003-2005 MIUR
SUMMIT 2004-2006 Regione Emilia Romagna CNIT 189.000,00
INSEBALA 2004-2006 Regione Emilia Romagna CNIT 250.000,00
TRIP 2007-2009 Regione Piemonte IEIIT-CNR 800.000,00
DVBT 2006-2009 Meta System S.P.A. FAM/Alma Mater s.r.l. and IEIIT-CNR 1.950.000,00
PEGASUS 2009-2011 MISE IEIIT-CNR+FAM/Alma Mater srl 1.050.000,00
MAN YEAR RESEARCHER FUNDED IN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE PREVIOUS PROJECTS
Number of man-year (Researcher) funded : 10,83 (2004-2010) - CNR at UniBo
Number of man year (Researcher) funded 3 - UniBo through Fondazione Alma Mater
Number of man year (Fellowship/phd ): 32,00 (2004-2010)|